Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Hero's Goodbye

I'm kind of new to the whole blogosphere thing, so I was surprised to see complete strangers not just reading, but actually responding to my blog. And the fact that the responses have been largely positive is encouraging.

Most of the responses concerned my entries about the three men killed in action in my battery. My blog came to the attention of several family members of SPC Dustin Fisher, one of the men who died. They wrote me with positive comments also. This makes me glad, because if my blog does nothing else but honor the brave men that my unit lost, then I can consider my effort well worth it.

Erica, one of SPC Fisher's cousins wrote me...
Dustin's funeral was a week ago Monday, and I have to
tell you that the community was so wonderful and came out in droves to pay
their respects to our fallen hero. It was just an awesome sight to see the
streets lined with people with their flags, saluting or hands over their
hearts, as we made our sad trek from the church to the cemetery.


This makes me really happy, to know that Fisher recieved the hero's farewell that he deserved. This kind of public memorial is not just good for the family, it's good for the community and America as whole. Necessary, so that we don't forget the sacrifices made for freedom.

But the War goes on. And hopefully, so will my journal. Thank you to all my readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home